4 Signs Of Home Electrical Problems

As a homeowner, you may not think about your electrical system at all until there is a problem. If you have an older home or problematic wiring, though, it's important to pay attention since electrical problems can quickly turn into a dangerous fire hazard. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International, an average 51,000 electrical house fires occur every year. Luckily, there are clear signs of electrical problems at home if you know what to look out for:

Electrical Shocks

It's normal in the winter to sometimes shock yourself when you touch an appliance, especially after walking across carpet, as this is a typical side effect of static energy. If you frequently shock yourself at home, however, and this happens regardless of the time of year, you may have a more serious problem on your hands.

Frequent electrical shocks are often related to a grounding problem or loose wiring. Call an electrician to check things out, and in the meantime, try wearing rubber-soled shoes at home as a safety precaution and to save yourself the annoyance of being shocked regularly.

Flickering Lights

Sometimes a flickering light just means you need a new lightbulb or the light itself needs repaired. On the other hand, if  lights throughout your home flicker and dim frequently, especially when you plug in an appliance, it may be a sign you are overloading your electrical system.

If your home is older and has the original electrical wiring, it may not be set up to handle today's modern electrical needs. In this case, you may need to have your electrical system upgraded and modernized.

Scorch Marks on Outlets

If any of your electrical outlets are hot to the touch and have scorch marks, it's a sign that you have bad wiring, at least near those particular outlets. An electrician will need to determine the extent of the wiring problem and suggest the best course of action.

Frequently Tripping Circuits

Having to constantly go reset your circuits is annoying and time-consuming, but it's also a sign that you have electrical problems. Like flickering lights, frequently tripping circuits can be a sign that your electrical system is overloaded, possibly because it's outdated and needs to be upgraded.

If you notice any of these things occurring in your home, it's time to call a qualified electrician. They will be able to determine the cause of the issue and make repairs before it becomes more serious.


Share